What happens if there are other people living with me?

If you have friends, relatives or anyone aged 18 or over living in your home, you may get less benefit. These people are called 'non-dependants'.

We may take an amount of your benefit for each non-dependant who lives in your home.

Non-dependants do not include:

  • Your partner
  • A child you get Child Benefit for
  • People under 18
  • People in full-time education
  • People on youth training schemes.

We will not take any money out of your benefit for non-dependants if:

  • You get Attendance Allowance
  • You get the care component of Disability Living Allowance
  • You receive the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment
  • You are registered blind
  • The non-dependant is a paid carer provided by a charitable or voluntary organisation
  • The non dependant is under 25, and on Income Support or Income based Job Seekers' Allowance

Benefits service

Address: Broadgate House
Customer Service Centre

Telephone: 024 7683 1800