Under occupancy calculator "bedroom tax"
If you are renting a property from a Registered Social Landlord (RSL) your Housing Benefit may be reduced if you have more bedrooms than you need.
The rules allow one bedroom for:
- Every adult / couple
- Any other adult aged 16 or over
- Any two dependent children of the same sex aged under 16
- Any two dependent children regardless of their sex aged 10 or under
- Any other dependent child aged under 16
If you have one extra bedroom than the rules allow, then the rent used in your Housing Benefit calculation will be reduced by 14%. If you have two or more extra bedrooms then the reduction will be 25%.
Anyone subject to this under-occupancy, can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment to see if the shortfall can be met through this claim.
Housing Benefit will not be subject to under-occupancy restriction for:
- people of pension age
- Shared ownership accommodation
- Supported/exempt accommodation
- Homeless/temporary accommodation
- Sanctuary Scheme
Please be advised that due to high demand, responses to correspondence, forms and emails can take up to 12 weeks.Address: Broadgate House
Customer Service Centre