What money do you count when you work out my benefit?
We count any money you have coming in. This includes things like:
- Department for Work and Pensions benefits
- Works pensions
- Working tax credit and child tax credit.
We count the money you earn from work after money has been taken out for:
- Tax and National Insurance contributions; and,
- Half of any money you pay into a pension fund.
If you work we will need to see:
- Your last five payslips if you are paid every week; or,
- Your last two payslips if you are paid every month.
If you are self-employed, we usually want to see your recent accounts. If you can't provide these, please contact us for more advice.
What about other money I have?
Small amounts of savings and investments may not affect your claim, but you must tell us about all your savings and investments, including current bank accounts. You must tell us about all the bank and building society accounts that you, your partner or your children have. Don't forget to tell us about any stocks and shares that you have too. If you having savings over £16,000 then you will not be eligible to claim.
Please remember to tell us about all the different kinds of income you get. If you are not sure, just check with us.
Benefits serviceAddress: Broadgate House
Customer Service Centre